Nicole Tourtelot joined DeFiore and Company in 2015, prior to which she was an agent at Kuhn Projects. She represents a variety of narrative and prescriptive nonfiction, including food, lifestyle, wellness, pop culture, history, humor, and memoir, as well as select young adult and adult fiction.
A graduate of Columbia University, Nicole began her literary career as a researcher and writer for Stephen J. Dubner (one half of the Freakonomics duo), and then worked in the fiction department at Esquire while freelancing for various outlets including Esquire, Wired, Glamour, and Time Out New York, where she had a regular column. She began her agenting career at ICM, working under literary agent Heather Schroder, and with writers such as Candace Bushnell, Ben Fountain, Amanda Hesser, Kim Severson, Tamar Adler, and Tom Bissell. As an agent at Kuhn Projects, Nicole worked with Marina Abramovic, Isaac Mizrahi, Tavi Gevinson/Rookie Magazine, Charles Blow, Luke Barr, Rosie Perez, Luke’s Lobster, and Kings County Distillery, among others.
Her clients include New York Times bestsellers, James Beard-award winners, writers for The New Yorker, The New York Times, New York Magazine, The New York Observer, The Los Angeles Times, Harper’s, and The San Francisco Chronicle, and many of her authors’ books have been optioned for film and television.
- UNDER THE INFLUENCE by Joyce Maynard (WilliamMorrow), New York Times bestselling author of LABOR DAY, GOOD DAUGHTERS, TO DIE FOR, and AT HOME IN THE WORLD
- THE THIRTEENTH EARL by Evelyn Pryce (Montlake Romance)
- SINGLE JEWISH MALE SEEKING SOUL MATE by Letty Cottin Pogrebin (Feminist Press)
Cooking & Lifestyle:
- DINING IN by Alison Roman (Clarkson Potter)
- THE EYESWOON COOKBOOK by Athena Calderone (Abrams)
- THE GEFILTE MANIFESTO by Jeffrey Yoskowitz & Liz Alpern of The Gefilteria (Flatiron Books)
- THE MOON KITCHEN by Amanda Chantal Bacon of Moon Juice (Pam Krauss Books)
- KALE & CARAMEL by Lily Diamond (Atria)
- THE STARRY KITCHEN COOKBOOK by Nguyen and Thi Tran (HarperOne)
- THE COVETEUR: Private Spaces, Personal Style by Jake Rosenberg & Stephanie Mark (Abrams)
- DIG IF YOU WILL THE PICTURE: A Consideration of Prince in Twelve Movements by Ben Greenman (Henry Holt), bestselling co-author of MO’ META BLUES (with Questlove) and THE SLIPPAGE (fiction)
- EMOTIONAL RESCUE: Essays on Love, Loss, and Life, with a Soundtrack by Ben Greenman (Amazon)
- NOW MY HEART IS FULL by Laura June Topolsky (Penguin)
- UNF*CK YOURSELF by Dr Venus Nicolino (HarperElixir)
- YOU ALL GROW UP AND LEAVE ME by Piper Weiss (WilliamMorrow)
- IT ENDED BADLY and GET WELL SOON by Jennifer Wright (Henry Holt)
- A DARK NIGHT IN ALASKA by Maureen Callahan (Viking)
- HIPPIE FOOD: How Back-to-the-Landers, Longhairs, and Revolutionaries Changed the Way We Eat by Jonathan Kauffman (WilliamMorrow)
- UNSEEN CITY: The Majesty of Pigeons, the Discreet Charm of Snails & Other Wonders of the Urban Wilderness by Nathanael Johnson (Rodale)
- THE COMFORT FOOD DIARIES: In Search of the Perfect Dish to Mend a Broken Heart by Emily Nunn (Atria)
How to Submit to Nicole Tourtelot:
Nicole is actively acquiring, particularly in the areas of young adult fiction and adult commercial and literary fiction. To query, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a brief description of your book and one sample chapter in the body of the email (no attachments please).