Caryn Karmatz Rudy joined DeFiore and Company in the fall of 2010.
Prior to becoming a literary agent, Caryn spent seventeen years as an editor of both fiction and nonfiction for Warner Books/Grand Central Publishing. Her experience on the other side of the publishing desk has armed her with invaluable insight into the hurdles editors face throughout the entire publishing process from the book’s initial acquisition to the marketing, publicity and sales vital to ensuring strong sales…and she believes falling shamelessly in love with a book is the ultimate weapon in any agent’s arsenal.
Caryn graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and currently sits on the Board of Kelly Writers House.
- Joshilyn Jackson’s NEVER HAVE I EVER (William Morrow, July 2019)
- KJ Dell’Antonia’s THE CHICKEN SISTERS (Putnam, June 2020)
- Kathleen Donohoe’s GHOSTS OF THE MISSING (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, February 2020) and ASHES OF FIERY WEATHER (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, August 2016)
- Andy Abramowitz’s A BEGINNERS GUIDE TO FREE FALL (Lake Union, December 2020) and THANK YOU, GOODNIGHT (Touchstone/S&S, June 2015)
- Lydia Netzer’s SHINE, SHINE, SHINE (St. Martin’s Press, August 2012) and HOW TO TELL TOLEDO FROM THE NIGHT SKY (St. Martin’s Press, July 2014)
- Bonnie J. Rough’s BEYOND BIRDS AND BEES: Bringing Home A New Message to Our Kids About Sex, Love, and Equality (Seal Press, August 2018)
- Amy Bloch’s THE POWER OF HEART: When and How to Get Out of Your Brain (St. Martin’s Press, November 2019)
- Ellen Fein and Sherrie Schneider’s NOT YOUR MOTHER’S RULES: Dating Secrets for Texting, Booty Calls, and Everything Else! (Grand Central Publishing, February 2013)
- Dallas Shaw, THE WAY SHE WEARS IT (William Morrow, March 2017)
- David Siik’s THE ULTIMATE TREADMILL WORKOUT (Adams Media, December 2015)
What I’m looking for:
I gravitate towards fiction with memorable characters, captivating voices, and original plotting, and I relish a great page-turner as much as a literary masterpiece. I am intrigued by a wide range of nonfiction, from narrative to practical, especially focusing on lifestyle, parenting, women’s issues, and memoirs that exhibit quirky perspectives. In both fiction and nonfiction, if you can make me laugh, you’ve won half the battle. I don’t work with science fiction, horror, romance, or paranormal novels.
How to submit to Caryn Karmatz Rudy:
Please email at Caryn@defliterary.com, using the word “Query” and your book’s title in the subject line. Please include a brief, compelling description of the book in the email, along with a short bio, and for fiction and memoir, please include the first five pages of the manuscript in the body of the email. Attachments will not be opened unless I have requested them.