Before joining DeFiore in early 2016, Reiko Davis was an associate agent at Miriam Altshuler Literary Agency for four years. She grew up in Kansas City, received her BA in Comparative Literature and Art History from Brown University, and is a graduate of the Columbia Publishing Course.
Reiko’s interests are varied, but she is particularly drawn to adult literary and upmarket fiction, narrative nonfiction, and young adult and middle grade fiction. Above all, she wants to discover books that surprise and move her with their irresistible characters and language.
She loves a strong narrative voice; smart, funny heroines; narrowly located settings (especially towns in the South and Midwest); family sagas; darkly suspenseful novels; and stories of remarkable friendships or that explore the often perilous terrain of human relationships. For children’s books, she is actively looking for young adult and middle grade fiction—whether it be contemporary, historical, fantasy, or simply a story with a timeless quality and vibrant characters. For nonfiction, she is most interested in cultural, social, and literary history; fascinating tours through niche subjects; narrative science; psychology; guides on creativity; and memoir.
- Lindsey Klingele, THE MARKED GIRL, THE BROKEN WORLD, TIPS FOR BELIEVERS
- Alan Gelb, HAVING THE LAST SAY: CAPTURING YOUR LEGACY IN ONE SMALL STORY, CONQUERING THE COLLEGE ADMISSIONS ESSAY IN TEN STEPS, and SEVEN STEPS TO CONFIDENT WRITING
- Erin Judge, VOW OF CELIBACY
- Lucy Jane Bledsoe, A THIN BRIGHT LINE and THE EVOLUTION OF LOVE
- Ross McMeekin, THE HUMMINGBIRDS
How to Submit to Reiko Davis:
Please query her at email@example.com with “Query” in the subject line as well as the following:
- A brief description of your book
- A brief, relevant bio
- For fiction, please include the first chapter of your book pasted in the body of your email.
- No attachments, please.